There is no doubt about it, Greece is and always has been at the top of all travellers Bucket lists. There are so many photos to look upon for inspiration but here we have 10 facts that show just how awesome Greece really is.
Here Are 10 Facts That Show Just How Awesome Greece Really Is
- Approximately 16.5 million tourists visit Greece each year, more than the country’s entire population. Tourism constitutes nearly 16% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The world’s third leading producer of olives, the Greeks have cultivated olive trees since ancient times. Some olive trees planted in the thirteenth century are still producing olives.
- Continuously inhabited for over 7,000 years, Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe. It is also the birthplace of democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, political science, Western literature, historiography, major mathematical principles, and Western theories of tragedy and comedy.
- Greece has more than 2,000 islands, of which approximately 170 are populated. Greece’s largest island is Crete (3,189 sq. miles) (8,260 sq. km.).
- Ancient Greece was not a single country like modern Greece. Rather, it was made up of about 1,500 different city-states or poleis (singular, polis). Each had its own laws and army, and they often quarreled. Athens was the largest city-state.
- A Spartan specialty was a black soup made from salt, vinegar, and blood. No one in the rest of Greece would drink it.
- Greece has more archaeological museums than any other country in the world
- In Greece, people celebrate the “name day” of the saint that bears their name rather than their own birthday.
- Greece has one of the richest varieties of wildlife in Europe, including 116 species of mammals, 18 of amphibians, 59 of reptiles, 240 of bird, and 107 of fish. About half of the endemic mammal species are in danger of becoming extinct.
- No point in Greece is more than 85 miles (137 kilometers) from the water. Greece has about 9,000 miles of coastline, the 10th longest in the world.
These facts show just how unique Greece is to anywhere else, how culturally rich their history is and just why so many travellers head there every year to experience this incredible country.
For Information On Visiting Greece, Visit Travel Talk Tours Today!